6 responses

1. Jen S.
    June 2, 2007

Hi Cody,

I work with autistic children, and I’ve learned a lot by reading the stories of people who are challenged by autism and Asperger’s syndrome, as well as the accounts of those who love them. I believe that the dichotomy between those diagnosed with disorders and syndromes and those assumed to be normal is often arbitrary. “Normal,” after all, is dependent on norms which are ever-changing, and hardly a standard of health. I’m looking forward to reading your posts; I’m especially interested in hyper- and hypoacuity with regard to sensory processing. ~Jen

2. codeman38
    June 2, 2007

I’ll definitely be covering the sensory aspect of autism in some of my posts here; to be honest, I’ve noticed that it tends to be greatly underrated by many people who work with autistics, and so I think it deserves more attention.

3. Jen S.
    June 7, 2007

I think that disorders of sensory processing are underrated by most of the world, because they’re underdiagnosed among the general populace. How does one get through grad school, by the way, under soul-sucking fluorescent lights?

4. codeman38
    June 7, 2007

Good question about the fluorescent lights. Thankfully, the places I’ve had classes keep such lighting fairly low anyway… and tinted lenses help at least somewhat when they don’t.

5. Joga Luce
    March 4, 2008

Hi Codey. Did you just update this? Or are the comment dates wrong? My feed reader says you just posted <2 hours ago.

Either way, thanks for being public with yourself. Many of us don’t have the ability to stand the scrutiny of the public eye, but those of us like you do a service to us by being public.

As for fluorescent lights in grad school, you could try looking into the ADA, but its hit or miss sometimes.

6. codeman38
    March 4, 2008

I moved the blog to a subdomain to keep things a bit more organized; that’s probably why it triggered your feed reader.

And yeah, the ADA is definitely hit or miss. I’ve had some profs who were perfectly willing to work with me, and others who had issues even when I brought the disability center into the conversation.