10 responses

1. Zach
    November 1, 2010

As someone with Autism I thought it was a huge disservice as well. I made a really good video about why I disagree with Autism Communication Shutdown Day. Check it out.

By the way – I closed captioned it. The first video on YouTube that I did it too because of people like you pushing for more closed captioning. I’m going to try and close caption all my future videos.

2. codeman38
    November 1, 2010

@Zach: Saw it earlier today– great video! And thank you so much for adding the captions; it was hard to hear some of the speech over the music, and that helped immensely.

3. Allecto
    November 2, 2010

Hey, I did the same topic! XD

Your post is fantastic; I’d like to post a link to it on my blog. Is that all right?

4. codeman38
    November 2, 2010

@Allecto: Sure– go right ahead!

5. Clay
    November 3, 2010

A couple of things about the first two myths – Dr Darold Treffert, a recognized expert on savantism, says that only about 10% of autistics are savants, and the majority of those have intellectual disabilities. Sounds about right to me.

6. Amy Wright
    November 4, 2010

Sorry, but you’ve missed the point. You said it yourself – you find it easiest to communicate online. Taking away the easiest form of communication means you have to work harder to communicate with the people around you – just like autistic people do every day.

7. codeman38
    November 4, 2010

@Amy: Perhaps we just have different worldviews, but to me, that’s a false equivalency to say that online communication for me is the same as online communication for a neurotypical. Taking away online communication from someone who has numerous other methods of communication is just a small drop in the bucket, but taking it away from someone who mostly communicates online, like many on the spectrum, is a very huge deal.

8. Shane
    December 8, 2010

Wow thanks for the insight. I feel like there is always more and more to learn about autism, because there are so many viewpoints out there. Even so, it is difficult to find relevant opinions and based on real experience. I found this center for autism which has really helped, if anyone is interested you should check this out: http://www.centerforautism.com/default.asp

9. Jiheishou Daigakusha
    December 25, 2010

As an Autie, I totally know what you mean about belittling humour. I don’t even like humour where the person making the joke is the one being belittled, such as Curb Your Enthusiasm. It acutely embarrasses me!